Monday, November 15, 2010

Morning Brick

I don't know about you, but when I hear "Morning Brick" I think of something...get ready for it, I'm going to be unpleasant...something you "drop" in your toilet after your a.m. coffee, but this is the contrary, it's something you eat. Hmmm. This isn't coming across quite the way I planned, but I'm half-awake and have to finish this post before the kids get up, so no time for editing. This is unrated, folks. Alright, that was about it. Actually, nothing too exciting. You can tell I'm a mom. I will say, I do tend to have the humor of an 8 year-old boy at times.

So! What's a Morning Brick, other than what I've described above? (and if this is your first time visiting this blog, please, please don't think I start all my posts this way.) It's my version of protein bar, or Clif bar or energy bar or some sort of protein/carby health bar that will get you going in the morning (oh my gosh, not another pun. Okay, didn't mean that.)

It all started when I was getting tired of being shaky in the morning after drinking my coffee on an empty stomach. I noticed that if I ate a protein bar first, I would not feel bad. So I started buying Clif bars every week. When on sale, they are a dollar a piece, when they are not, it's more like $1.50. Take that times 7 and your looking at quite a hefty price for just some nuts, fruits and oatmeal, which is only 30% organic. GASP! I then became determined to make my own out of what I had in the pantry. Mine end up being, oh I don't know, maybe 60-70% organic. Better and cheaper.

Since I love chocolate and peanut butter, I grabbed those (not chocolate chips- cocoa powder and unsweetened peanut butter) and some old-fashioned oats. Started adding agave for the sweetener, flax seed just 'cuz, and started mixing. First batch was too cocoa-y. It was like chalk. But the second time it was better. Six tries later, I think I actually have good base, for which many other flavors could start.


Morning Brick- A Foodie House Original

Makes 6-8 hefty bars depending on what pan you use to form them
No BAKE!

2 c. organic, old fashioned oats
1/2 c. organic peanut butter, unsweetened
1 tsp. organic vanilla
1/4 c. cocoa
1/3 c. organic agave nectar
2/3 c. your favorite protein powder (I use whey)
2 tbsp. flax seed meal
1/4 c. hot water, plus a tbsp. more (but reserve for the end)

Mix together peanut butter, vanilla, cocoa, agave, protein, flax seed meal, 1/4 c. hot water. A nice paste will form. Add oats and mix really well. It will be dry and crumbly (you can do this in your mixer if you want). You want it to be in big crumbles, not tiny uber dry ones. If it's too dry add that tbsp of water. If it gets too wet it will be hard to form but still taste good.

Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Put mixture in and using parchment flaps, press mixture down into pan. Take a second loaf pan and press down on top of the mixture to make a solid "brick". Let it firm up in frig for at least an hour (or overnight) before cutting with a very sharp knife.

Oh, guess what? Voting starts today! So, if you liked my Emergency Cake Video for the Project Food Blog contest...


CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

Thank you so much for your support!
Love ya, Foodies!

21 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Definitely a must try for me. I trust after 6 times of perfecting, these will be darn tasty. I've done the way too much cocoa powder thing before when making a recipe. Pretty darn chalky indeed. Voted done. You've definitely got me craving lots of chocolate reading this blog! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. These look wonderful. Fresh from the kitchen is so much tastier. When I saw the cocoa and peanut butter I instantly wanted to add Nutella to the mix...ehehehe...but then I have a Nutella spree going on at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally bookmarking for an on-the-go snack

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally the kind of recipe I'm needing right now. I'm horrible about eating something healthy in the morning, and that looks like something I can shove in my bag on the way out the door. Thanks Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These really are great for travel. They are very sturdy, so they shouldn't fall apart on you. I will say, however, have a glass of milk (or your coffee) nearby, as they need some moisture to get them down:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heheh...this kind of brick is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep wanting to make my own granola bars that are high in fiber because I am constantly buying Fiber One bars and Fiber Plus bars. (Speaking of morning bricks... LOL)

    Great post and ideas. When I finally finish recapping my POM Dinner Party, maybe I will try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are SO funny...I am so thoroughly entertained in a sick and twisted kind of way......sigh.....I voted! but of course I did sweet bella... i am so proud of you and so excited you have come this far in the competition - to the moon baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a good giggle out of your other definition of morning brick. Those look like great energy bars! I made a low carb version a few months ago, something like this, and they were so good. Makes me think I need to do it again. I can't do the oats in yours, sadly, but I would if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These souns really good, I love the fact that I can have breakfast on the go and I never even had to turn the oven on to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to make some of these! Your recipe sounds wonderful, I appriciate that you have included so much protein...which is essential to an energy bar :)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smile. You are hilarious. This made me laugh out loud. I love making homemade energy bars. These look and sound fabulous-packed with wholesome goodness! Thank you for sharing, love. May peace and beauty shower down on you and yours this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I just say how much I love that these bars are no-bake? They'd be so nice to throw together the night before and munch away in the morning. Plus they have chocolate and peanut butter. Nuff said.

    My inner 8-year-old is giggling uncontrollably at the poopy jokes, by the way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. The post is great and the food looks delicious. Great work and kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lauren - those look perfect. I'm not a fan of the store bought bars, but these are a different story. I'm rooting for you in the contest, as usual!!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you DO start all your posts that way, because i love it.
    Can you lend me some protein powder? I need to make these because we spend ridiculous amounts of $ on these at my house. Blame the hub.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for your nice comment on my blog. It seems like we have a lot in common!

    Mariko is the best, isn't she?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank a lot for this delicious receipe. A perfect choice for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to make these immediately. I eat clif bars for breakfast on a near daily basis and its hurting my bank account

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is exactly what I feel like having first thing in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just so you know, I probably would have liked the first 5 attempts :) I love stuff like this.
    BUZZ!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Foodie House! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or email me. I appreciate your support and LOVE hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...